5th INFANTRY REGIMENT
The History of the Fifth Infantry Regiment spans over 190 years of American fighting tradition. During that time, it has been presented battle streamers for participation in forty-eight separate campaigns in eight major conflicts.
Following World War Two, the 5th Infantry Regiment was deactivated but was reactivated in Korea on 1 January 1949 with personnel and support units from the departing 7th Infantry Division with the mission to provide security while all U.S. troops were withdraw from the country. The 5th Infantry Regiment also left Korea effective 31 June 1949 and was transferred to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, where it was when the Korean War began. It deployed to Korea on 25 July 1950 and was assigned to the 25th Infantry Division but as a "regimental combat team (RCT)" instead of as a regular regiment. The following month Aug 1950 was reassigned, still as an RCT, to the 1st Cavalry Division and the next month (September 1950) to the 24th Infantry Division where it replaced the divisions 34th Infantry Regiment. It remained with the 24th Infantry Division until January 1952 when it officially became a separate RCT again and was assigned to IX-Corps.
The 5th Regimental Combat Team consisted of:
- 5th Infantry Regiment
- 555 Field Artillery Battalion (105mm) (Known as "The Triple-Nickel)
- 72nd Engineer Company
Back to 8th Army Page
Back to Korean War Homepage